Our storyOnce upon a time, long ago in the early noughties, five Danish entrepreneurs sat huddled in a basement cooking up a master plan to launch the world’s best online takeaway ordering service, connecting delivery restaurants to hungry local surfers. After some initial years of bootstrapped growth in Denmark, the company slowly began to internationalize, starting with takeaway loving Britain in 2006.
Fast forward just eight short years and we have an established, truly international, market-leading brand – and we’re only just getting started. We have activities on four continents, more than 40,800 global restaurant partners and 6.9 million active users with an insatiable appetite for takeaway
Our vision? To make ordering takeaway food online through JUST EAT the norm. It’s a quick, easy and efficient way to order takeaway. There’s no longer the need to root through out-of-date menus or shout your address down the phone to a noisy restaurant kitchen. People can easily search for and order from a range of local restaurants via a single online portal, using the JUST EAT app, a smartphone, laptop or desktop. In turn, JUST EAT gives high street restaurants an online presence, the ability to process online orders and access to JUST EAT’s loyal customer base.
We’ve come a long way since 2001 but, we’re still in the early days of our company’s history – approximately 25% of all takeaway orders in the UK are placed online, so we believe there’s still runway for growth! Our ambition is to continue to build upon this success and become an international success story.
Who we are
JUST EAT plc (incorporated in the UK) is the world’s leading online takeaway ordering service, operating in 13 countries around the globe, including: Belgium, Brazil, Canada, Denmark, France, India, Ireland, the Netherlands, Norway, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland and the UK. The Group processed more than 40 million orders in 2013 (H1 2014: 27.5 million), generating nearly £700m (H1 2014: £465m) in total transaction value for the restaurant industry.
There are currently over 40,800 takeaway restaurants signed up to JUST EAT, which uses a robust technology platform to offer an efficient on-line ordering service. JUST EAT was recently ranked in the Deloitte 2013 Technology Fast 500 EMEA and is recognised as one of the 500 fastest-growing technology companies across Europe, the Middle East and Africa (EMEA). The brand has also won multiple marketing awards, including a 2013 SABRE award for Best Guerrilla Marketing.
What we do
We allow hungry local consumers to order in real-time from their local independent takeaway restaurants via a single online portal.
JUST EAT gives high street restaurants an online presence, the ability to process online orders, and access to JUST EAT’s loyal customer base.
In turn, JUST EAT allows consumers to search for and order from their favourite local takeaway restaurants, from Sushi and Vietnamese to Indian and Chinese, via a single online portal. The added benefit is the ability to pay securely online by card, cash upon delivery, or collection.
Orders are transferred in real-time to the restaurant via JUST EAT’s JCT (JustConnect Technology) system for processing.
- Online Presence: JUST EAT gives high street restaurants an online presence and ordering platform to effectively compete with larger chains, without having to incur significant start-up and marketing costs.
- Additional Revenue: Restaurants gain access to JUST EAT’s 9 million loyal consumers who typically order takeaway online twice per month, establishing a new and lucrative revenue stream.
- Convenience: There's no longer the need to root through out-of-date menus or shout your address down the phone to a noisy restaurant. Consumers can simply search for and order from local restaurants via a single online portal, using the JUST EAT app, a smartphone, laptop or desktop device.
- Choice: Consumers are able to pick their favourite restaurant and cuisine type among thousands of outlets.
- Value: Menus are constantly updated with exclusive offers and discounts, allowing consumers to take advantage of the best possible deals.
- Added-Value: We are passionate about providing consumers with more information about restaurants, from food quality to speed of delivery, than is available to those who currently order by telephone or walk in off the street. Real-time independent consumer ratings and reviews for each restaurant mean that consumers can make more informed decisions about where to order takeaway.
Empower consumers to love their takeaway experienceIt’s our mantra – our reason for being. It guides how we operate as a business, the products and services we develop, and how we manage and deliver customer care.
It’s about redefining how, what and where people enjoy takeaway. We want to give consumers choice – from the range of cuisine types and restaurants available to order from, to how they place, pay and receive their takeaway order. It’s about ensuring consumers have all the information they need about their local restaurants at their disposal to enable them to make informed decisions about where to order takeaway.
We want to give people the option to treat themselves – to take a night off from cooking. For too long, the occasional takeaway has been demonized while hours spent slaving over a hot stove has been championed as the only way forward. By giving consumers access to a range of cuisine types and takeaway ordering options, we want to redefine the way that people see and experience takeaway – empowering consumers to love their takeaway experience.