Best takeaway in the country revealed at the first ever British Takeaway Awards
The inaugural British Takeaway Awards last night crowned Chris's Fish 'n' Chips the best takeaway restaurant in the country.
The Leicestershire Chippie beat off competition from 25,000 other restaurants to earn the coveted prize.
In a glamorous ceremony at London’s Savoy Hotel, hosted by TV couple Tess Daly and Vernon Kay, Chris’s Fish and Chips in Leicestershire came top after a public vote of more than 100,000 customers.
The restaurant, run by Stratis Kyriacou and his wife, prides itself in its food, always ensuring that the fish is fresh and caught in a sustainable way, and that all ingredients are sourced locally. It also only uses biodegradable packaging, as the couple are especially keen to make certain that the shop is as environmentally friendly as possible.
The couple took over the restaurant when it was on the verge of bankruptcy seven years ago, but completely turned it around and it is now the pride and joy of Barwell, a village just outside of Leicester.
When asked about the restaurant’s achievements, the owner, Mr Kyriacou proudly stated:
“Nobody gave this takeaway a chance when it opened, it just goes to show what hard work,helping the community and consistently good food can do.”
The chippy is an outstanding example of the impact and commitment that independent takeaways have on communities. Barwell is a small, tight knit village with Chris’s an integral part of it: not only does it sponsor a children’s football team, but they also give their time up to referee matches and actively support the kids; gestures which, as a resident commented, are simply invaluable.
The restaurant’s involvement spans all age groups, as it also supplies dinners to the local retirement home, allowing the more senior residents to reminisce about the good old days, whilst tucking into their fresh fish and chips.
The love is clearly reciprocal as in a teary, emotional speech the owners thanked first and foremost their fellow villagers and expressed all their passion for the community by dedicating their victory to Barwell.
Graham Corfield, UK Managing Director of Just Eat, also commented on the results, saying:
“A quality takeaway is a key part of a great British night in. We know customers love to enjoy a range of exotic cuisines, but this year the classic fish and chips has come out on top as the nation’s favourite.”
The awards also celebrated 13 regional winners, including:
- The Retro Sweet Shop, Darlington - Best takeaway in the North East
- Sakushi, Sheffield - Best takeaway in Yorkshire & Humber
- Eastern Cuisine, Crystal Palace - Best takeaway in South London
- The Golden Fish, Dagenham - Best takeaway in North London
- Pimms Pizza, Bristol- Best takeaway in the South West
- Cinammon@home, Aberdeen -Best takeaway in Scotland
- Chicken George, Luton-Best takeaway in the South East
- The Frying Squad, Bangor -Best takeaway in Northern Ireland
- The Kebab Shop, Birmingham -Best takeaway in the West Midlands
- Galos UK, Hertford - Best takeaway in the East
- Wiwo Noodle Bar, Cardiff - Best takeaway in Wales
- BRUNCH, Prescot - Best takeaway in North West
- And of course, the winner of the East Midlands was Chris’s Fish and Chips.